Audio Book Resources

Discussion in 'Media Discussion' started by Seabhac, Jun 29, 2020.

1. Seabhac
    War Chief
    Mt. Seabass

Been listening to some audio books lately as I've never really gave that sort of a try and it has been awhile since bothering to source books to read.

Anyways found this awesome site that is a huge repository of free audio books that are in the public domain.

https://librivox.org/

They have some pretty amazing stuff that you would never expect, and I came across it while looking up historical sources on pirates and buccaneers which amazingly they have full recordings of.
  2. Urfang
    Scar Bearer

In-Game: Urfang
    Playing: D&D, frisbie, BAP
    Nifty. Mostly older stuff, but that's to be expected. Public domain.
  3. Urfang
    Scar Bearer

There are some books that I'd love to get in audio format, but they aren't available. Probably an intersection of "under copyright" and "low demand" is keeping them from being done. I've considered reading some of them into audio myself. The Keith Laumer Retief series. Plus his Bolo series. Maybe some Maxwell Grant old pulps.
  4. Seabhac
    War Chief
    Mt. Seabass

All of the readers on that site are volunteers so if there is something you want that is in the public domain I bet you could get it added.

There is a lot that could be added, and one book that I was looking for titled Rare Adventures and Paineful Peregrinations by William Lithgow does not have a recording. Just as an example.
  5. Warrior
    Snowhawk

In-Game: WarriorScholar
    Playing: HOI4, Stellaris
    Noice. Will make the traveling more bearable. You go fishy-fish.
  6. Urfang
    Scar Bearer

Not sure how to determine if something is in the public domain. Conan, for example. It seems SOME of REH's Conan stories are in the public domain and some are not, but I've hear that Conan Properties Ltd will sue the pants off anyone at the drop of a hat.

I'd love to get the Retief series in audio, but I have no idea if it's P.D.. Probably not, probably just not popular enough for someone to record it.
  7. Hakon
    War Chief

In-Game: Hakon
    Playing: Planetside 2
    all of REH's stories are beyond copyright (death of the author+72 years) but that won't stop the people who own the rights to later 'interpretations' of the character suing anyone that mentions the name Conan without their permission. Unfortunately the long list of derivative works that they can use to make arguments of similarity means that they're unlikely to ever get tagged as vexatious litigants until society finally decides to unfuck copyright law for good.
  8. Seabhac
    War Chief
    Mt. Seabass

Conan is on there.