In the News...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Mendo, Jun 30, 2010.

1. Urfang
    Scar Bearer

In-Game: Urfang
    Playing: D&D, frisbie, BAP
    So I think the end result of all this is that Google will own the Internet in about 8 months. And Google, of course, is just a front for the NSA.
  2. Urfang
    Scar Bearer

3. Mendo
    Clan Elder
    Who is your daddy, and who does he work for?

In-Game: Mendrak
    Playing: Elder Scrolls Online
  4. Urfang
    Scar Bearer

5. Mendo
    Clan Elder

6. Mendo
    Clan Elder

7. Draggon
    Scar Bearer

In-Game: SHC_Draggon
    Playing: WB (FI2/GK), W3, FG
    Yeah love that story. They made a movie about the WWII Codetalkers, unfortunately it sucked balls. But the true story is pretty awesome.
  8. Urfang
    Scar Bearer

9. Catiline
    Snowhawk

In-Game: Catiline
    Playing: Daoc, GW2 & SWTOR
  10. Mendo
    Clan Elder

11. Urfang
    Scar Bearer

As much as slowing or even stopping the process of aging might appeal, imagine the catastrophic social implications.

• 6.5 billion people on the planet...and then we stop dying? And keep breeding?
    • Congress can't figure out Social Security now...what if we all retire at 67 years old and live to be 200+.
    • What if it's very expensive, meaning only the rich can afford it. You think class warfare is bad now?
    • What if people STOP having children and we all just get older. The warmongers would be driven to drastic measures because young and impressionable "shock troops" would be harder and harder to find. Not inconceivable that they would engineer mass genocide just to get people breeding warrior/children again.
    • We know that children are much faster learners and often much more creative. An aging society could also mean a stagnant society as everyone get's "comfortable".

I could go on, but you get the idea. Utopia it would NOT be. At least not until we had gone through a whole lot of social upheaval.
  12. Urfang
    Scar Bearer

13. Urfang
    Scar Bearer

14. Urfang
    Scar Bearer

15. Mendo
    Clan Elder

To say it in such a way though, there's disagreeing and then there's bigotry. It'd be like approaching a black person on their way out and calling them the N word.
  16. Eigeir
    Snowhawk

In-Game: Eigeir
    Not to worry Urf, none of "us" would get it or even know it exists. Only the rich/powerful would get it.
  17. Eigeir
    Snowhawk

In-Game: Eigeir
  18. Urfang
    Scar Bearer

Oh hell no. I've put my foot in my mouth so often, ridicule is a way of life. I'm used to it. But since you are asking for a word or expression, how about:

Fucked up...
    Barbaric...
    Back-asswards...
    Murderous...
    Callous...
    Ignorant...
    Evil...
  19. Entaro
    Clan Elder
    U feel big now cause in real life i smack u like red headed step child son

Playing: Kingdom Come Deliverance
    [ :rasta: ]

Kind of a radical thought, but if you think about it abstractly birth is little more than our way to continue existing (on a species-level). Evolution is all about adapting (very long term) to the environment at hand. We don't have tails, wings, flippers or whale lungs because our environment didn't call for those changes.

We do have this curious brain of ours though that has allowed our species far greater command over our environment (for better or worse) than any other known form of life to exist or have existed previously. You could actually say I think..., that the fact that we have this critical-thinking unit has resulted in ourselves neutering our evolutionary capabilities.

When it's cold we put coats on. If our species keeps using coats in cold weather for 50 millions years, Humans will never develop bear hides, so to speak. We use oxygen tanks, wetsuits and flippers to dive underwater. 50 million years of those people's genes... they're still using oxygen tanks, not turning into whales by then, if you see where I'm going with this...

Humans are born so incapable compared to something like say a Giraffe, that by the time it comes out of the mother's uterus is able to run in only 10 hours... 50 Million years of getting your ass chased by territorial lions and some lucky mutations has resulted in that kind of change.

My point was that our technological competence IS our evolution to a large extent. It is a much greater and quicker-acting force than natural selection could ever be. It would be remiss to stymie efforts at these in-depth scientific inquiries for fear of their possible (negative) implications.

[ / :rasta: ]
  20. Urfang
    Scar Bearer

Oh, I agree, Entaro. I'm just saying, it wouldn't be a smooth ride.