Issac Asimov's Foundation TV Series

Discussion in 'Media Discussion' started by Warrior, Jul 9, 2020.

1. Warrior
    Snowhawk

In-Game: WarriorScholar
    Playing: HOI4, Stellaris
    Really looking forward to this one and liberating things from Apple is a bonus.

2. Hakon
    War Chief

In-Game: Hakon
    Playing: Planetside 2
    I have a love hate relationship with Foundation, on the one hand first two books are a pretty great, they have an interesting premise and they use that premise to explore trends in human development over time. Then the Mule shows up and everything goes to shit as it dives face first into psychic powers and loses it's focus on the ideas that made it interesting in the first place.

The whole exploration of psychic powers is where the story shows it's age as it was written in a time where those sorts of phenomena were still considered an open question scientifically or at least hadn't been entirely dismissed. These days it's more jarring to find what for all intents and purposes look like fantasy elements in a stereotypical 'hard' setting that Foundation is otherwise portraying.

One thing I'm wondering here is weather this is an adaptation or an 'adaptation' I see a lot of stuff in that trailer which are basically just scenes from the prolog of book 1 and then a bunch of stuff that isn't anywhere in the books but looks like it might be an exploration of either the 'second foundation' or might be an exploration of the founding of the 'first foundation' that the books just sort of skipped.
  3. Warrior
    Snowhawk

In-Game: WarriorScholar
    Playing: HOI4, Stellaris
    You've definitely got (at least) a 1 up on me on this. Last time I read it was when I was in my teens so it's been a hot minute. I definitely believe you, I just don't remember enough.

I DO remember really liking the books and that's why I'm looking forward to it. I suppose I should reread them again if I ever find the time for a book that thick again. Then my critique can consist on more than single words.
  4. Hakon
    War Chief

In-Game: Hakon
    Playing: Planetside 2
    they're definitely very good, I should also say that the idea of 'psychohistory' wasn't unique to Asimov, he just coined the term, a lot of other authors like Heinlein and Niven were incorporating ideas about how psycodynamics and mob psychology could be advanced to the point of accurate prediction of future trends. Indeed we're actually starting to see a parallel development with modern datamining techniques.

I haven't read Foundation in a longtime myself, I just have a really clear memory of the general themes and how jarring I found the Mule and everything the followed him. Interestingly I don't see any hint of him in that trailer but I do see stuff that feels more like the themes of the 'Second Foundation' which is making me wonder if they've decided to explore that area which was never elaborated on rather than follow the books closely. TBH there isn't actually a lot of meat in the books themselves until you get to the later ones and those are honestly too weird for a series IMO.