PC/Tech News

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Seabhac, Jan 25, 2017.

1. Slovis
    Scar Bearer
    Average Time Until Respec: 30 Minutes

In-Game: Slovis
    Playing: VR - ED - SWITCH
    Man this is a let down.

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/20...pere-graphics-cards-release-date-price-specs/

I'm getting that itch, I don't see me waiting until next summer or later for a new iteration. I keep looking at my 1070 vs 1080 ti and I think if I'm going to jump - it's now or really hold out. GPU prices have started to level out. I'm 3440x1440 @100hz and when SLI 'works' I'm golden, but we all know how common that is. Toss VR in there (no SLI support) and I'd love to just be able to crank settings and keep that 90fps per eye and no hiccups.

I think from a what I paid vs what I can get for my 2 asus 1070 hybrid cards to offset the cost of a 1080 ti perspective ... now is the time? If I get $250-300 (seems very reasonable) per card, a 1080 ti would cost $200-300 out of pocket for the asus strix.

Also, I really wanted 20XX or 11XX cards this summer / fall :(
  2. Seabhac
    War Chief
    Mt. Seabass

The prices may have stopped rising on GPU models but they are still overpriced imo, would expect there to be decent sales ahead on the 1080/ti models for Black Friday this year. While I can fully understand the want for more FPS I just feel like the Display, and GPU companies are not standing on reasonable ground for good 1440+ performance.

Cost vs what you are getting is pretty hard to justify. The whole proprietary G-sync vs Freesync problem, as well as the new generation pc displays that haven't made it into mainstream production, and cryptocurrency demand for hardware is really holding the market back right now for the consumer in many ways.

Really am not so surprised at the delay, Nvidia knows it doesn't need to release new hardware as demand is so outrageous which won't be changing all that much any time soon.

I have my doubts about the the 11/2080, but it would be nice to see a viable 1440p single card solution that can handle 120hz+ performance.

AMD also seems to have pushed back their own next series of cards; https://www.techradar.com/news/dont-expect-new-amd-graphics-cards-any-time-soon
  3. Seabhac
    War Chief
    Mt. Seabass

This article is a little old but it is still a good read about G-sync HDR and Freesync 2; monitors that are branded with g-sync hdr are coming out very soon for only $2,000. :kasharin:

https://www.techradar.com/news/nvid...c-2-the-race-for-high-dynamic-range-pc-gaming
  4. Seabhac
    War Chief
    Mt. Seabass

5. Slovis
    Scar Bearer

I've seen 2 different 'leaked' newegg pages with pricing ... from $400 (2070) to $799 (2080ti) which feels like what I'll call the old price line up at this point lol The other was iirc $500 to $1200 for cards, which is more in line with today's pricing.

At this point I'm very curious to some real world benchmarks at 1440p & 4K res. I just hope when they come out the 80 or 80ti is reasonable, I'm not going to do one down from top dog like the last 3 gens, and end up regretting it 3-6 months later.

*edit* Some take with a grain of salt benchmark info
    https://www.techradar.com/reviews/nvidia-geforce-rtx-2080-ti

Sounds promising, I just don't wanna pay for it
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2018
  6. Seabhac
    War Chief
    Mt. Seabass

7. Mendo
    Clan Elder
    Who is your daddy, and who does he work for?

In-Game: Mendrak
    Playing: Elder Scrolls Online
    I've been pretty unimpressed with the 1066 etc cards performance vs price comparisons I've seen. Hopefully these will be better but I'm dubious.
  8. Seabhac
    War Chief
    Mt. Seabass

Oh yeah no kidding that was dissapointing I thought they would have fixed their pricing with the 16 line, but guess it makes sense for them to make the 16 series a cost focused line given AMD still hasn't caught up.
  9. Slovis
    Scar Bearer

Jeeeze after re-reading this I keep waffling on my time frame lol

Still on a 1070, but down to one for a bit now.

This new gen is good news, I'll likely wait again until this one hits. I just hope it releases before March / April of '20 as at this point the two big games I'd like to upgrade for are hitting then and I feel like I've been waiting forever.
  10. Seabhac
    War Chief
    Mt. Seabass

11. Slovis
    Scar Bearer

12. Seabhac
    War Chief
    Mt. Seabass

They do suffer from image burn, which is why they are not used for anything but TV. This is of course getting better as they work on developing the tech.
  13. Seabhac
    War Chief
    Mt. Seabass

Intel GPU cards out next year!? That should be good for prices I hope.

https://www.pcgamesn.com/intel/xe-gpu-release-date-graphics-card-specs-performance