Vikings

Discussion in 'Media Discussion' started by Mendo, Jan 10, 2013.

1. Draggon
    Scar Bearer

In-Game: SHC_Draggon
    Playing: WB (FI2/GK), W3, FG
    Yeah, not sure anyone knows what they were really like. I've read some stuff in the past where they may have been sort of "shamanistic" and "canny" types. So I guess that's what they were going for, but who knows.

Another thing is that Norse didn't generally have temples. They were nature lovers and performed their worshiping rites out in the open in beautiful places. As far as I know there was only one account of a large temple. I forget where it was supposed to be located, but from I understand that was derived from Norse glyphs and no archeological evidence has been found.
  2. Eigeir
    Snowhawk

In-Game: Eigeir
    I am not happy with the makeup wearing, bald headed priests in this show. They get some things really right and other stuff really really wrong. Never remember Norse ever writing about "magic" mushrooms either.
  3. Eigeir
    Snowhawk

Uppsala is a real place (they did find a temple there), but it's in Sweden, which would be a boat ride away.
  4. Mendo
    Clan Elder
    Who is your daddy, and who does he work for?

In-Game: Mendrak
    Playing: Elder Scrolls Online
    13th warrior has that crusty old woman living in a cave by the sea who did divination through sheep guts and bones in a bag. That's probably closer to reality.
  5. Eigeir
    Snowhawk

What about just "casting runes" LOL... though I am a fan of sheep guts.
  6. Entaro
    Clan Elder
    U feel big now cause in real life i smack u like red headed step child son

Playing: Path of Diablo
    Still enjoying this show. Totally knew the priest was getting out of being sacrificed...... He's probably the only likable character left for me, as their Ragnar is getting pretty flakey. Rollo is good, too.
  7. Vingnir
    Clan Elder
    Dead horse-beater...

In-Game: Ving/Vingnir
    Playing: Crusader Kings II
    I'm gonna have to catch up on this - caught the first two, then fell off.

I've gotten used to anything concerning the vikings, being inaccurate, so, why fret?

TBH, from what I saw, though bad at some points, wasnt as bad as I thought it would be. And I used to be a stickler on viking related stuff, so...
  8. Vingnir
    Clan Elder
    Dead horse-beater...

I just dug up a gem in the garage that i was looking for...

So if anyone wants a look at life in Scandinavia, just after the 'viking age' (but arguably still very much like it) I have a GREAT piece of literature for you; Ive mentioned it before, but, it bears mentioning AGAIN:

Be aware, its no fun adventure, its dry at points, it may even be a hard read, BUT you want a real taste?

The Master of Hestviken by Sigrid Undset; 4 books, often combined into one text:

The axe
    The snake pit
    In the wilderness
    The son avenger

Good stuff, but, dont say i didnt warn you; its no Conan, or sweeping fun adventure. Just pure everyday grit.

But you want a taste of what it might have been like? Here's your Meat. It aint pretty.
  9. Eigeir
    Snowhawk

I really prefer the "hard honest" look at the Norse culture (or Anglo-Saxons, pretty must any germanic tride). I might have to take a look at those if they are still in print.

Sigrid Undset was a hotty in her youth.
  10. Vingnir
    Clan Elder
    Dead horse-beater...

I didnt know she was, but, doesnt suprise me.

The ratio of hottness in Scandinavia, is no myth, from what Ive seen in just amateur photos, and bieng in Copenhagen for a bit. and I'm not even a 'blonde-chaser' per-se.

You will like 'master' if you like 'hard honest'.
  11. Wulfghard
    War Chief
    Watchu' Talkin Bout?

In-Game: Wulfghard
    Season 2 starts Thursday, the 27th. :D I need to stock up on some more mead. I preferred it airing on Sundays last season; I'm usually pretty tired the last two work nights. Still, I'm looking forward to it.
  12. Hreit
    Scar Bearer
    PHYSICS PHYSICS PHYSICS PHYSICS WRAIST PHYSICS PHYSICS PHYSICS PHYSICS

I think Hulu only delays it by a week or so. I forgot who Rollo is [I think that's the brother?]; I just hate how they kill off all of the characters for no reason
  13. Entaro
    Clan Elder
    U feel big now cause in real life i smack u like red headed step child son

Playing: Path of Diablo
    Yeah Rollo is the brother who embraces the Swedish king.
  14. Illiad Outsider

In-Game: Illiad/Azmith
    Playing: AOC, Anno 2070, DayZ
    Pretty sure some of them ate shrooms before going in to battle.

Amanita Muscaria or Fly Agaric

Datura Stramonium

Some speculate mixed together formed the concoction of the berserkers
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 24, 2014
  15. Hakon
    War Chief

In-Game: Hakon
    Playing: Planetside 2
    there's unsubstantiated theories about use of psilocybin by norse peoples either in religious ritual or in relation to the legendary bearsark
  16. Illiad Outsider

In-Game: Illiad/Azmith
    Playing: AOC, Anno 2070, DayZ
    Ya, some people think the picts, and later the scotts, used wormwood in their Woad mixture. I personally don't think that's the case, but it's possible. Shamans around the world are known for their use of naughty things to see the gods. I wouldn't be surprised if their spiritual folk used it.

Some pretty crazy variants of shrooms grew in that region too, so it's all possible. It just lacks substantial proof
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 24, 2014
  17. Draggon
    Scar Bearer

In-Game: SHC_Draggon
    Playing: WB (FI2/GK), W3, FG
    So... battle right off the bat, 1st episode of this season. Gotta love it. :nod:
  18. Wulfghard
    War Chief
    Watchu' Talkin Bout?

In-Game: Wulfghard
    Shield walls with spears. :thumbsup: They didn't maintain those shield walls for very long, but it was still nice to see.
  19. Eigeir
    Snowhawk

I have to agree, it was good to see. I wish they could have used more extra's (bigger battle lines) but I understand costs and such. I really liked the fact that Rollo couldn't fight Ragnar when it came down to it. I have high hopes for this season.
  20. Cellestaris
    Snowhawk

Playing: anything. send help.
    SPOILERS!!!!!! *slaps*